3 October 2012

Glazing for anagama

Two days to go before setting off for the next anagama at Higham Hall College.
Glazing nearly finished, the concentration needed is tiring but I've finally learned to give myself enough time. And I made notes, so there's a chance I'll know which glazes are on which pots when they come out of the kiln - must record where they are in the kiln.

I love the chemistry of ceramics (not very good at it mind you) but the glazing I used to find painful, physically, like those awful cross country runs at school, close your eyes, scream and launch yourself through  the cold, muddy puddles - that's how I've always felt when glazing, it only gets better once it's all over.  When I was making slip cast earthenware, one glaze, resist decoration and cobalt wash, it was simple but tedious; raku glazes seem to smother my textures so I don't use much in that medium; I never knew enough to be in control and I think I just didn't like the glazes I was using or the results.

But now,  I think I'm almost enjoying the process. The simplicity of wood fire glazes is beautiful. The basic ingredients are identifiable as rocks, clay and ash. The process of their melting is imaginable and there's the possibility that the combination of ingredients and fire will produce a moment of pure magic way beyond the sum of its parts.

No photo, you have to imagine your own perfection

No comments:

Post a Comment